For our second annual guide, we thought we’d spotlight this year’s most-talked-about parties and players, our favorite local spots and the Basel-worthy essentials that will ensure that you’re outfitted accordingly. Here’s how we’re living it up for the super-stylish, art-focused week otherwise known as Art Basel Miami Beach.
Figuring out What to Wear?
Whether you’re gallery hopping, walking in Wynwood or heading out to one of the many evening events, we’ve got you covered—just flip through the slideshow below to find your look or shop from our page on intermixonline.com.
Shop the looks:
- Elizabeth and James Brendan Sleeveless Crop Blouse
- 10 Crosby Derek Lam Pattern Track Pants
- Sergio Rossi Naos Suede Bootie
- Stella McCartney Mirrored Lens Tortoise Sunglasses: Available in Stores
- Valentino Rockstud Chain Pouch: Available in Stores
- A.L.C. Leopard Print Shirt Dress
- Proenza Schouler PS1 Large Backpack: Available in Stores
- Valentino Rockstud Kitten: Available in stores
Night Out at the Raleigh Hotel
- A.L.C. Striped Pullover Blouse
- Love Leather EXCLUSIVE A-Line Leather Skirt
- Valentino Rockstud Flap Clutch: Available in Stores
- Nocturne Damino Crystal/Crochet Necklace
Refueling for the day
- Missoni Knit 7/8 Length Sleeve Dress
- 3.1 Phillip Lim Crystal Stud Frame Clutch: Available in Stores
- Ray-Ban Clubmaster Sunglasses
- Loeffler Randall Sandals: Available in Stores
Here’s who and what to keep on your radar
- You may recognize her from Jay-Z’s much-talked about Picasso Baby video, and this week Marina Abramovic will be the focus of one of Basel’s most anticipated events. Visionaire and The National YoungArts Foundation will present a screening of 3-D film “A Portrait of Marina Abramovic” by artist Matthu Placek. The free public screenings will be taking place from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. from December 4 through December 7.
- Local Real Estate giant Jorge Pérez opens the doors to his namesake Pérez Art Museum, with a slew of VIP parties and well-attended dinners at the museum’s restaurant, Verde.
- Word on the street says Kanye West is set to perform alongside artist Vanessa Beecroft at Mana Wynwood.
- MOCA and Vanity Fair’s invite-only International Party on December 3rd featuring work by Tracey Emin.
- They’re back! André Saravia and André Balazs are bringing back Basel’s best late-night haunt, Chez André. This year, the pop-up will be located at the Gale Hotel’s Rec Room from December 4 to December 6.
- Dom Pérignon is celebrating the release of their limited edition sculpture by Jeff Koons at WALL at W South Beach. Musical entertainment will be provided by Zoe Kravitz and DJ Ruckus, while Alex Dellal, Stavros Niarchos and Vito Schnabel play host for the evening.
- The 2013 edition of VH1 + SCOPE’s annual fete will take place at the SCOPE Pavilion on Ocean Drive with Canadian stars Tegan and Sara headlining the performance, and more music by DJ Cassidy.
- DETAILS Magazine and local artist Alex Mijares are celebrating the Mijares’ first-ever gallery show on Friday, December 6 in his newly outfitted Wynwood space. The pop-up gallery will be open starting Tuesday, December 3.
- Everyone’s favorite artist and a constant Basel fixture, Mr. Brainwash will be taking over WALL at W South Beach on Saturday night, December 6.
- Need to take a breather? YogArt‘s 2013 installment will host morning and evening yoga sessions at the Wynwood Walls from December 5-8. Think meditation, music and yogis galore.
Where and how to fuel up throughout the day
Sunset Harbour: 1935 West Avenue #102, Miami Beach, FL 33139
Wynwood Walls: 222 N.W. 26th Street, Miami, FL 33127
We mentioned JugoFresh in last year’s guide, but in the last 12 months the neighborhood eatery now dominates Miami’s growing juice scene. Our SoBe INTERMIX staffers are regular patrons, and surviving any week (let alone Basel week) without a “Sana de Rana” bowl is a concept unimaginable to any JF regular.
Wynwood: 2390 N.W. 2nd Avenue, Miami, FL 33127
Sunset Harbour: 1875 Purdy Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139
This trendy coffee shop is another Miami-made venture that has earned a devout following amongst local caffeine junkies. While the coffee might possibly be the greatest and strongest brew you’ve ever had (and that’s reason alone to stop in) both Panther Coffee locations also happen to be social hubs for stylish, Basel-goers looking for a mid-day boost.
Francesca Caltagirone, email@example.com
We were recently introduced to CraveClean—a new, small business born in Miami from creator Francesca Caltagirone’s desire to cook up snacks that would feed her sweet tooth without blowing her diet. While they may look sinfully indulgent, they’re actually completely guilt-free and low in calories, fats and sugars. Oh, and they deliver.
Story by Regi Arriola
Photos by Mayleen Gonzalez