It’s upon us: the time of year when snowbirds fly south to Miami for so much more than beach and bikinis (ok, that too). Art Basel Miami Beach 2012 has arrived and we’re giving you the goods on what’s happening, where to go, who to know and most importantly, what to wear. Here, our INTERMIX stylists have curated a stand-out wardrobe (from Pucci to Proenza Schouler and more) to get you through the week in style. Further below, you can find the rest of the info. You can thank us later.
- W’s Design Talks: Design Pioneers: W Magazine’s Stefano Tonchi and design icon Diane von Furstenberg will host a discussion on past and present design trailblazers on Wednesday, December 5 at Design Miami.
- Steinway & Sons “Pop-Up Piano”: For the next installation of “Pop-Up Piano,” The Perry Hotel will play host to a fundraising event on December 5 benefitting Miami’s New World Symphony.
- Andy Warhol Exhibition at Fendi Casa: Fendi Casa invites art aficionados and novices to view an exhibition of the greatest works by the iconic pop artist on Thursday, December 6.
- Bruce Weber Book Signing: Famed fashion photographer Bruce Weber hosts an intimate book signing at The Standard on December 6.
- Stephen Weiss: Connecting the Dots book signing hosted by Donna Karan: American fashion legend Donna Karan takes to The Delano Hotel on South Beach on December 7 to host a book signing in honor or her late husband, Stephen Weiss. Proceeds from the book will benefit the Urban Zen Foundation.
- Terry Richardson Book Signing and After Party: The man, the myth, the legend: Terry Richardson hosts a celebratory event at The Standard on Friday, December 7 for his newest publication, Terrywood.
- Stella McCartney Tea Party: The designer celebrates Basel with a posh tea party at South Beach concept store, The Webster.
WHO TO KNOW
With an enviable career in the fashion industry under her belt, Kelly Klein has come into a second phase of life—as a designer-turned-photographer and new mother to son, Lukas. To celebrate the release of her sixth book, Pools: Reflections, Klein is hosting a private event at The Webster during Art Basel with proceeds benefiting ACRIA: a New York City-based AIDS research and education organization.
This mother of three, devoted wife and avid yogi first launched YogArt (with friend Lee Schrager) during Art Basel Miami Beach in 2011. For its second installment, the event will be taking place at Wynwood from December 6-9.
The art-meets-exercise experience gives regular practitioners and novices a much-needed time-out during the week’s hectic lineup, inviting participants to enjoy morning and sunset yoga sessions with renowned instructor Dawn Feinberg and other South Florida yoga gurus.
This wildly-popular artist (and Miami native) has found soaring success with his colorful paintings. Mijares’ highly-anticipated Art Basel debut this year will include collaborations with famed Spanish street artist, Pez, and LA-based artist Desire Obtain Cherish.
WHERE TO GO
Over 250 international art galleries come together for the most significant art exhibition in the Americas: Art Basel Miami Beach. Each year, the Miami Beach Convention Center is home to paintings, drawings, sculptures, installations, films and photography by the world’s most acclaimed artists. For a full list of exhibition sectors and visitor information, click here.
So many fairs, so little time! We know that navigating the fairs during Art Basel can be a challenge (there’s over twenty) but here, we’re highlighting the best in show:
- NADA: Collins Avenue and 67th Street on December 6-9, 2012
- Scope: 110 N.E. 36th Street on December 4-9, 2012
- Art Miami: 3101 N.E. 1st Avenue on December 4-9, 2012
- Untitled: Ocean Drive and 12th Street on December 5-9, 2012
Head over to Wynwood and check out our top spots:
- Joey’s: While visiting the acclaimed Wynwood, make sure to stop into Joey’s for a slice of what Food and Wine Magazine called the “top pizza in the U.S.”
- Basel Castle: On December 8, Basel Castle invites the public to view the work of artists such as Ron English and Anthony Lister, while enjoying musical entertainment by Jacuzzi Boys, Twin Shadows and more.
- JugoFresh Pop-Up: South Beach juice bar JugoFresh has earned a devout following since opening its doors, and now the cold-pressed hub is setting up shop (pop-up shop, that is) in Wynwood during Art Basel. Fuel up for the festivities at 82 NE 29th Street, Miami FL 33127.
- Miami Street Photography Festival: Look through the lens of 150 local street photographers (both famed and forging) at the Miami Street Photography Festival on December 7 and 8 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. at Kike San Martin Studios.
- Michael’s Genuine Food and Drink: This farm-to-table eatery is the place to see and be seen during Basel, and it also happens to serve some of the freshest fair (pun intended) in town. But diners beware: this hot spot is known for having a wait.
Love the Design District as much as we do? Here are our go-tos.
- Shop BAZAAR: Harper’s Bazaar sets up a holiday pop-up shop in the heart of the Design District from December 5-9 at 180 N.E. 39th Street.
- Cartier Naturellement: Cartier’s Design District boutique will undergo a complete transformation to present the brand’s Naturellement collection in a set designed by landscape artist Christophe Ponceau. The collection will be on display December 5-9.
- Primary Projects: A project space at the helm of Miami’s art movement, Primary Projects is front and center this Art Basel, with curated exhibitions taking place throughout the week including those by Rebeca Raney, Asif Farooq, Autumn Casey and more.